Ketogenic Diets Can Help You Lose Weight
Although they can be high in fat, the low carb and high protein intake induces a sense of fullness. Ketones are a fuel source and are potent natural appetite suppressants.
By limiting carbohydrates the liver produces ketones as the alternate fuel source -a process known as ketosis.
The appetite suppression and increased satiety are essential for effective weight loss.
Tiredness, bad breath, nausea, constipation, and sleep problems are common early problems but do settle quickly.
Although effective for weight loss the diet tends to be difficult to sustain and weight regain tends to occur when carbohydrates are re-introduced. There are also some concerns raised about the safety of Long term very low carbohydrate diets, the evidence for the safety of long term ketosis has not been established.
Long term low carb Mediterranean diets with high protein and high healthy fats may be a better choice.
Foods To Include
- Poultry: Chicken and turkey.
- Meat: beef, Lamb
- Low-carb veggies: Most green veggies, tomatoes, onions, pepper
- Condiments: salt, pepper and various healthy herbs and spices.
Foods to Avoid or restrict
- Bread and baked goods: White bread, whole-wheat bread, crackers, cookies, doughnuts and rolls.
- Sweets and sugary foods: Sugar, ice cream, candy, maple syrup,coconut sugar.
- Sweetened beverages: Soda, juice, sweetened teas and sports drinks.
- Pasta: Spaghetti and noodles.
- Starchy vegetables: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, corn, peas and pumpkin
- Fruit: Citrus, grapes, bananas and pineapple.
- High-carb sauces: Barbecue sauce, sugary salad dressings and dipping sauces.
- Certain alcoholic beverages – wines and beers
Keto-friendly Drink choices include:
- Water: Water is the best choice for hydration and should be consumed throughout the day.
- Sparkling water: Sparkling water can make an excellent soda replacement.
- Unsweetened coffee:
- Unsweetened green tea